XC2 Header goes here WIP
Xenoblade 2 was released in 2017 by Monolithsoft under Nintendo. It was created by Tetsuya Takahashi. It is a real-time combat RPG that has gameplay similar to an MMO. In 2018 Torna: The Golden Country was released.
The story takes place in the world of Alrest, where people live on the back of giant creatures called titians who move through a sea of clouds and may become bonded to fighting companions called Blades, who can lend their Driver impressive power. These titans are begining to die out and causing land and resource shortages. After being hired for a salvaging mission gone wrong, a boy named Rex becomes bonded to Pyra, a legendary Blade in exchange for taking her to Elysium, a fabled paradise.
The Xenoblade series is broken up in to seperate entries unlike the Xenosaga series because the games are not true sequels the way the Xenosaga games are. Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade 1 tie into each other, but do not happen in the same world. XC2 has better emotional impact and depth if played after XC1, but they can be played in any order.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
The main game. Playable on the Nintendo Switch. May be abbreviated as XC2 by fans.
Torna: The Golden Country
DLC Prologue that details the events 500 years ago that set the story of the first game into motion. Playable on the Nintendo Switch. May be abbreviated as TTGC or shortened to Torna by fans.
A digital DLC package including Torna, challenge mode, some extra difficulty settings, some special rare blades and extra sidequests, and some miscelaneous extra items. It is less expensive than buying Torna alone, but its not a physical copy nor will it have a seperate icon on the switch menu.
Getting Into It
Xenoblade 2 is our favorite game in the series and of all time. It however, is very much not for everyone. Its heavy anime flavor, gatcha mechanics, content warnings, and story focus turn a lot of people off.
Its also worth warning that this game suffers from a data leak and crashes if you have it open for longer than 6+ hours without fully quitting the game out. Please go into it knowing that.
If you like:
- Extremely strong foreshadowing
- Unique fantasy worlds
- Doing low-stakes gatcha without spending lots and lots of money
- Aspects of the story seeping into the gameplay
- Silly anime cover over a very serious and earnest story about overcoming loss and fear
- Things that allow you to derive new meaning from the scenes on repeat playthroughs
- Story focused games that could be considered 'playable anime'
- Reigonal accents in dubs used for worldbuilding purposes
- Canon polyamory
Or if you liked:
- Kingdom Hearts for the complex plot that emphasizes friendship
- Full Metal Alchemist for the moral complexities and well foreshadowed plot twists
- The Star Wars prequels for how much it felt like a slow moving trainwreck tragedy even when you knew what would happen (TTGC)
- Digimon or pokemon for having little collectable characters to recruit
- Any other Xeno game
This game might be for you!
While its not as incredibly dark as Gears or Saga, it still has quite a lot of content warnings.
- Accessability: Some reading required with no audio component including tutorials and some flashing lights in unskippable cutscenes
- Violence: Mass death, attempted murder, genocide, body horror, war, general fantasy violence, death of named characters including party characters and children
- Abuse: Experimentation, child abuse, physical and verbal domestic abuse by a man to a woman in a flashback, bullying (TTGC), mentions of trafficking including implied sex trafficking, verbal and physical abuse from owner to servant, implied sexually inapropriate family relationship that goes unremarked upon, systemic oppression, dehumanization
- Governmental Oppression: Colonalism touched on, legal systemic oppression of a minority species- particularily those who have escaped the system
- Mental health: Trauma and the effects of it are discussed and shown with extreme detail, survivor's guilt is a major character motivation, mental breakdowns are shown, suicide is a MAJOR TOPIC and part of the plot, dissociative panic attack shown (TTGC), alter splitting event shown (TTGC)
- Other dark topics: Systemic oppression and bigotry shown, cannibalism, alcohol mentioned and used, exestentialism, misanthropy, homelessness and debt, terminal illness, parent death, scene of visiting a parent's grave, child labor normal and unremarked upon, post-apocalypse world
- Suggestive themes: Some outfits are provocative, suggestive camera angles, a handful of innuendo-based jokes, 'jiggle physics' is very prevelant
- Religious themes: Fantasy pope with Christian values about sin, Heavy focus on religious symbolism common to Shinto, Buddhist, Christian, Jewish, and Gnostic theology
Where to find it
Xenoblade 2 and TTGC are still available for regular retail purchase, both physical copies and on the eshop. It is more worth your money to buy the expansion pass instead of Torna by itself, as a note, unless you really desire a physical copy.
With thirteen hours of cutscenes in the main game alone and just over 2 and a half hours in Torna, its very much is a cinematic experience that watches very well. There are plenty of cutscene movies and lets plays on youtube to choose from.
There are also pirated copies to be found with enough looking for the Yuzu emulator. It emulates alright but the data leak it suffers from on the switch still seems to remain.
This is a paragraph! Here's how you make a link: Neocities.
Here's how you can make bold and italic text.
Here's how you can add an image:
Here's how to make a list:
- First thing
- Second thing
- Third thing
To learn more HTML/CSS, check out these tutorials!